Monday, June 27, 2005

Faroese Shawl completed



Well, to be official, it is a Faroese style shawl, since that is what the name of it is on the pattern in Cast on Magazine Spring 2004 issue. I used the size 11 needles, finished with the required 161 stitches at the end, and even pulled out the crochet hook to do the single chain at the bottom (something is weird about crocheting and I can't put my finger on it - no pun intended).

I don't know whether to call this a shawl, a scarf, a sharf, or a scawl. On me it's like a big scarf - perhaps on a petite person, it would be a shawl. The biggest difference in how I made it was by not using Lionbrand Homespun and using a worsted weight yarn made by Plymouth Encore (75% acrylic and 25% wool). To me a shawl is something you can wrap your self in and keep warm and feel swaddled. This does not give me that feeling. It's like a throw over the shoulder that will accessorize an outfit.
Until further notice, I will call this a sharf. There really should be two of them here since I started all over again near the end of the scarf in a frenzy of not being able to find the error. My daughter Laura liked the sharf, but didn't like the color (her polite way of saying, don't give this to me). It will find a home to some deserving purple loving sharf wearer.
So, you decide, shawl, scarf, scawl, or sharf? My friend Susan came over to be the model for the new finished item. Here it is:



Susan was ever so kind to model this even in the sultry heat of South Georgia.

If I do this again, I think I am going to try using size 13 or 15 needles and go with Homespun which is bulkier, but that will be for another day...... off to work on Madli's shawl which has been on the back burner. We went to Sewpulatives in Thomasville for us both to get circular needles that were shorter in length - her needs was for a hat she was making and I need it for Madli's shawl. Plus I prefer bamboo needles anyway.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
In other news, dear daughter Laura earned an A in organic chemistry this summer in the first session at Bainbridge College. NO small feat, - and we are very proud of her!

6 comments:

Mz Mar said...

Whatever you call it it's beautiful!!
I really have to try a simple shawl one of these days~~I all ready have the yarn but no pattern!!

Emily said...

I vote for sharf.

Lovely work.

And anyone who gets an A in organic chem anywhere deserves a party for that feat alone.

Marguerite said...

Congratulations on that A in organic chemistry. That has to be one of the most challenging classes in existance. Your daughter must be very intelligent - and a hard worker, too.

Opal said...

I really like the size. I live in Hawai'i and it would be just right to have around the shoulders in the too cold air conditioning here. A really nice summer wrap.

Evelyn said...

beautiful work on the sharf. I saw your post on the knitlist, so I popped in to take a look.
Also, big ups to your daughter for the A in Chem. We have survived the tears and late nights around my house induced by Chemistry class with no A to show for all the drama, so be proud.

Blessings,

Evelyn

http://www.nubianweb.com/brnwebgrrl

Joanna said...

Very nice and I think the color is great