Tuesday, August 23, 2005

The HEAT is on

It has been unbearably hot. Sunday in church, the A/C didn't come on in time to properly cool the church. I knew we were in trouble when Kate started fanning herself with the order of worship. SHE NEVER does that - she is my litmus test as to when the temperature goes over the edge. At communion, the priest had beads of sweat all over his face. Two people left church in the middle of the service because of the heat. My mother said she could barely sing it was so hot. I saw folks inching to the vents on the floor to get a piece of cool air.

The gnats in South Georgia are in their glory days - they love this stinkin' heat. The air is so still that it looks as though time has stopped.
Last night, the wind started blowing - ahhhhhh relief is here. I heard huge "thunks" on the deck's top to indicate large drops of rain. And a picture was captured
Huge claps of thunder occurred, the dogs were under me and in my lap. Did it cool it off? Not really - it just added an added thickness to the air that makes the air feel that much heavier. It's unbearable and relentless.

At school I talked to someone who had a tree that was struck by lightening - and it zapped the cable and tv. She has black streaks on her walls to show where the lightening came through the wires.
And now, as the day has transpired and I have sat down more than once to try to complete this, and have totally lost my direction in this blog and can't remember where I was going with this. But.... it is raining this minute much like it did when it started raining yesterday. The dogs are underneath me. Tillie wants in my lap....and the thunder is creeping up on us again. Like the movie Groundhog Day.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It's always sad when we hope the rain will bring relief and it just makes things worse! Can you knit when it's so humid and oppressive?
I hope you'll get a cool breeze soon.