Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Goober Peas

In a recent posting, I had a picture of a feastful delight - several replies came in and hit it right on - yes, those are peanuts - and for those of you not from the south, one of the delicacies of the south is boiled peanuts - you can find them canned in the store, but nothing beats the earthy smell of peanuts in the summer time(ok I am overexaggerating about the smell). After you boil and boil and boil them with a generous amount of salt added to the water, you end up with those "goober peas". It brought back memories of the song we learned as a child "Goober Peas" - I put a search into from Google and voila - a government site National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences - had it under their web site. I am not sure of the connection between Goober Peas and this official sounding site, but lo and behold, in the children's section, the lyrics to this song were provided along with a midi file. So if you want to feel a bit of nostalgia, go right ahead and click on Goober Peas to, for some of you, relive an old folk tune that you learned in childhood. My guess is few children know this tune today. Makes the heart a little sad that some of these tunes are going by the way side for more "sophisticated" music.
For those of you less inclined to go and listen to the music, I will at least introduce you to the first verse and the refrain just to say I did my part to continue traditional music down through the ages:

Sitting by the roadside on a summer's day
Chatting with my mess-mates, passing time away
Lying in the shadows underneath the trees
Goodness, how delicious, eating goober peas.

Peas, peas, peas, peas
Eating goober peas
Goodness, how delicious,
Eating goober peas.

How many of you remember that song?
Cathy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

huh...I didn't know what they looked like but I remember my gram singing that very song...