Friday, August 05, 2005

Folk Shawl finished


It's been almost 5 days since I have finished the Folk shawl Sampler from Folk Shawls: 25 Knitting Patterns and Tales from Around the World by Cheryl Oberle. I promised to myself to finish it before school began and 1 hour and 10 minutes before the stroke of midnight before teacher planning I finished knitting it. Now, after taking it off the needle and finally stretching it out to take a picture, I measured it's length - it's nine (yep 9) feet long - now I have to figure out where/how to block it? No bed will handle it - I don't think I have 9 feet of open space that will work. Can I fold it in half and block it?

This shawl was one of the most challenging works I have done and completed (completed being the KEY word here). I did learn how to fix some mistakes without tinking a row or two back. When you cast on 401 stitches, the very thought of tinking will make one sick and want to throw the whole piece in the corner.
I chose this one for two reasons: I liked the pattern and shawl and it was a KAL for the yahoo group Folk Shawls - they have a quarterly KAL from Cheryl Oberle's book. I used extra fine merino wool (superwash) and size 7 needles. If I did it over again, I think I would have used the 6 needles and a fingerling weight yarn. However, this will be wonderful to wrap in during the winter.
It feels strange not to be working on this - I worked on it most of the summer and I am missing working on the challenge. All good things must come to an end I guess to allow for another!

5 comments:

Emily said...

Cathy, it's beautiful! Congratulations!

I love that book and hopefully you'll inspire me to tackle something out of there soon.

Anonymous said...

Cathy, you did a wonderful job. I'm glad to see what you did with the pattern. I'm going to give it another look. Thanks for sharing. Glynda B.

Alison said...

Beautiful job!

Steph said...

Great job! Nine feet will be a luxurious wrap this winter.

As for blocking -- in my house, the only option would be my bedroom floor with a king-sized sheet covering teh floor. Good luck.

pumpkinhead said...

Your shawl is beautiful and is a wonderful work of art for you to wear this winter! I hope your able to block it out, that might shorten it abit. Otherwise wrap it a few times around yourself and wear it with PRIDE!