Friday, August 04, 2006

RevGalBlogPals - Friday Five

This week we have a treat: a guest Friday Five composed by NotShyChiRev. Enjoy!
1. Describe the last play or musical you saw. (At least provide the what, when, where, and why). What was your opinion of it?
"Anything Goes" by Cole Porter. Our local little theatre put it on and it is always a joy to watch people from your community have fun and do a good job at it to boot!

2. All time favorite play? Musical?
WEll, it's not fair to ask a musician to have to choose ONE musical. Several stick in mind. I never ever tire of the Sound of Music and Oklahoma is another fine one.

3. “The Producers,” “The Philadelphia Story,” “Hairspray,” “The Wedding Singer”…all were movies before they were musicals (okay “The Philadelphia Story” was a play and then a movie, and they changed its name when it became a musical, but whatever). What non-musical movie do you think should next get the musical treatment?

I don't have any idea!

4. Favorite song from a musical? Why?

Another unfair question... for a musician to answer.
I've always liked "Out of my Dreams" from Oklahoma.

Out of my dreams and into your arms I long to fly
I will come as evening comes to woo a waiting sky.
Out of my dreams and into the hush of falling shadows,
When the mist is low and stars are breaking through
Then out of my dreams I'll go Into a dream with you.

Won't have to make up anymore stories
You'll be there! Think of the bright midsummer night
Glories we can share.
Won't have to go on kissing a daydream
I'll have you
You'll be real Real as the white moon lighting the blue.

Out of my dreams and into your arms I long to fly
I will come as evening comes to woo a waiting sky.
Out of my dreams and into the hush of falling shadows,
When the mist is low and stars are breaking through
Then out of my dreams I'll go
Into a dream with you.


5. The most recent trend in Broadway musical revues is to construct a show around the oeuvre of a particular super-group or composer, where existing songs are woven together with some kind of through story. The most successful of these (“Jersey Boys” (The Four Seasons), “Mamma Mia” (ABBA), “Movin’ Out” (Billy Joel)) have made a mint, but many (“All Shook Up” (Elvis), “Hot Feet” (Earth, Wind and Fire)) have bombed. What great pop/rock singer/composer or super-group should be the next to be featured, and what might the story-line be for such a show?


Bonus question for singer/actors. Favorite part you’ve ever played/sung.
As always, let us know in the comments if you play! And standing ovations (as well as more visits, no doubt) for those who link directly to their posts.
I had a heck of a fun time being one of the nuns in "The Sound of Music" - I was one of the ones that got to sing "How do you solve a problem like Maria?" (I wonder who of the matriarchs of the RevGalBlogPals is Maria? :))

But I think I really enjoyed being Mrs. Paroo in "The Music Man" as I got to have an Irish accent in the play in high school and those that did not know me thought I was from Ireland (please just remember that in high school you can have nailed the accent just a little bit at they would have been impressed.

I think REVGALBLOGPALS trivia tournament MIGHT just tie in this weekend with this theme! Go to the tournament to find out (Saturday and Sunday for the change in topic!)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Way to go Cathy!

How do we solve a problem like Maria?

Cathy said...

How do we catch a cloud and pin it down?

Unknown said...

Cathy, what fun to play Mrs. Paroo. I love her part in The Piano Lesson.